In starting your WordPress.com website, first, think of a domain name or website address.
Here are a few tips in creating a domain for the purpose of this course or future use.
- Choose a name that is easy to remember, say, and type
- Limit slang or words with unique spellings
- Keep it short
- Avoid numbers and hyphens
- If you think your name is cool and memorable, it is probably not. Ask someone their thoughts on it.
- Use keywords to describe your website purpose
- Example (for the purpose of this course): your initials and general career label. If your name is John Michael Doe, JMDMedia.wordpress.com
- Using the free version of WordPress.com platform, “WordPress” will brand your domain name after the name you establish.
- Check with Godaddy or any other hosting service to check for duplication. Currently, many platforms check for domain name availability. This step reflects buying a domain name beyond the free WordPress.com.
- Your domain should clearly state the purpose of your website.
Here is a video on creating domains from Automattic, the people behind WordPress.com